Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Earl 'Snake Hips' Tucker

Melissa tells me I need to work on loosening up for Latin dances. Cuban hips and all that stuff. I'm trying - I do the exercises and I try to remember the whole slow-hip-quick-hip-quick-hip-slow-hip routine but I have to say it doesn't come natural. In fact I'm pretty sure it doesn't come natural for most men in the U.S. We're taught that any moving of the hips is to be avoided for certain moronic social reasons. Never underestimate the power of stupidity (and coming up in a public school system with about 3000 little morons looking for their chance to make your life miserable).

Anyway, today I was trolling around YouTube and I came across a video that made me want to just give up the whole Cuban hip routine. This guy is Earl 'Snake Hips' Tucker. He came on the dance scene in mid-20's Harlem as a sort of dance freak act. He hung out with the Savoy gang and danced at the Cotton Club performing his unique interpretation of the 'Snake Hips Dance' which was possibly an interpretation of a ritualistic African dance.

All I can say is it appears the man has no bones!

No comments:

Post a Comment