Thursday, November 6, 2008

BOO!!!

I love Halloween. I love the weather, the spookiness, and the permission to wear anything I want. I feel sorry for people who have linked this enchanted holiday to bad stuff. It wasn't always like that. Take a look at some of the pictures from Halloween parties and dances in the '20's. Or the sweet decorations from the '50s. Maybe those who have such a vendetta against Halloween should take a good look at themselves instead. Especially after the election results, woohoo.

OK. I'm done now.

Gary and I decided this year to spend our anniversary dancing. Yes, we married on October 31st. We took a quick trip to St. Louis and the Casa Loma ballroom. As usual, my husband described the event so perfectly I won't rehash, just a few words on how wonderful it is to be with what I think of as "my people", individuals of all ages, ethnicity, and orientation blending and having a blast.

My favorite moments? Giggling with a cross dresser over my corset (he liked it), seeing a dead ringer Sarah Palin get booed and watching her slapping her butt in response, and a middle aged man winning the costume contest with a Mr. Bubbles look...it is something to see check out the website.

So was thinking about Halloween and dancing, and realized for me there was a connection. When you are dressed as a pirate you simply cannot think about any worries you may have. When you are dancing, you MUST be right there or you will mess up. This is especially good for me, because I am usually not an in the moment person, I am a planner, an oh-no-what-about-that, or an oh-dear-this-is-coming-up kind of gal.

Dressing up in a silly costume keeps me grounded, helps me enjoy the here and now. The past is the past. The future may not be at all what you are planning for or worrying about. I'm trying to be more present oriented, because really, that is all you can be sure of. Might as well enjoy it!

Now if you will excuse me, I have to finish painting the bathroom, because we are having a party in the next few weeks and I have SO MUCH TO DO.

No comments:

Post a Comment