Friday, January 9, 2009

Party Like it's 1952...

I know I’m about ten days late to say anything about New Years but in my usual shambling through the web for interesting stuff I came across the following picture and I felt compelled to post it to Blue Suede Souls.

Where are these parties held? I mean, okay – in the case of this specific photo I know that the party in question was held in the 50’s in New York City but I’m talking theoretical. What clique do you have to belong to before you get invited to the bunny-hat-stab-your-buddy-with-plastic-swords party? I mean look at these people! They’re not particularly handsome – in fact they’re a little pudgy and they’ve got the look of dock workers – but imagine the party!

I keep thinking there must be a heck of a swinging band in this club/bar/joint/wherever – maybe there’s a hot samba playing in the background. The dance floor’s crowded with smartly dressed ladies and guys in…bunny hats. There’s lots of laughing, the energy level’s high, and everybody’s just waiting to count down to yelling ‘Happy New Year’ before stumbling out to their gas guzzling American cars and smashing every light post and trash can on their way home.
Maybe this photo’s proof that the past is irretrievably lost. Maybe the reason that you can’t find a party like this any more is in the question – irrational exuberance plus copious amounts of booze just belong in the Hemmingway era. I don’t know – but sometimes when I see these old photos I’d like to rent a time machine, pop back, and wear a bunny too.

Or maybe I just need to join the right cult.

No comments:

Post a Comment