Friday, June 19, 2009

Road Rocket Rumble - I

June's been a busy month. Traveled to Virginia but didn't have time to check out any dance venues (plus my one and only partner didn't come along) and then work became little bit of a mess. Finally things are shaking out and just in time for the 10th Annual Road Rocket Rumble!

For a long time Kelly and I have been wanting to actually see Rockabilly in the wild. Not the domesticated stuff you get on a dance DVD or YouTube (okay, YouTube's pretty much in the wild too). Well, this is our weekend. We've got two days planned at the rumble – tonight we'll catch a band and cruise the vendor stalls, tomorrow we'll catch a couple bands and get real tired.

I promise lots of pictures and much opinionating. We'll be at the Clarion West, Indianapolis which advertizes a big dance floor. My fingers are crossed. I've lived on the west side of Indy for a long time and I know the Clarion but I don't know it for its dance floor. I know it for the fact it's an 80's era hotel in an odd location that seemed tired and run down as soon as it was built. I had some friends who worked in an office building near the Clarion and we used to go to the hotel bar once in awhile. As I recall, it wasn't overly impressive – let's hope I've mellowed over time!

The fest itself is a gangly affair. There are hotrods, pinup girls, retro wear booths, car parts, dance instruction, a daredevil show, and bands. It sounds like having the circus come to stay in your guest room for about a week. What a mess, you'd be finding peanut shells and Pabst Blue Ribbon bottles under the bed for months. The smell probably never would come out of the upholstery. I'm keen on seeing the cars and it'd be interesting to catch the pinup show as well as some of the daredevil stuff which brings up the one piece of advice I'd give the organizers before ever entering the event. Publish a COMPLETE schedule. I know when the bands play but that's it. No idea when the shows are or when the venue opens – I just know we'll head down there before 7:30 tonight and see what we see.

No comments:

Post a Comment