Sunday, September 6, 2009

Back With The Seniors

Gary and I made our way back to the favorite hangout of my parents, the Indianapolis Senior Center last Friday night. A live band was playing (The Blue Notes…they were good albeit only two played and the rest was recorded), and good snacks were to be had. Dancing, being with my parents and Gary, and snacks…doesn’t get any better.

And we did have a wonderful time. I danced with my dad, I danced a lot with Gary, and I so enjoy seeing my parents dance. We were complimented a lot, which via the bubble post you already know I think is nice but makes me really nervous. I guess when you are strangers, the youngest ones in the room, and dance fast you will get noticed.

A bittersweet moment came for me when an older gentleman came up to my table, patted me on the shoulder, and said, “you two remind me of me and my gal when I was younger.” He got a faraway look in his eyes and said, “you know, before I got bad knees and life’s problems intruded.”

Wow. As someone who experiences knee twinges herself, this was sad. But I decided on the way home that it didn’t have to be. I know for some people seeing older folks is depressing. I understand; after you’ve passed fifty you know deep down in your sometimes sore bones…and not just intellectually… that life isn’t forever. Being around seniors can remind you of this.

But it doesn’t have to be depressing. For one thing, some of these “oldsters” were keeping up with Gary and me…I saw some awesome jitterbugging and one couple literally burned up the floor with their polka.

Also, for me it’s not such a bad thing to be reminded to get out there now and dance. I can be a slug. Sometimes when I’m getting ready to go out I contemplate the couch and a big bowl of popcorn. But once I arrive the magic happens, even if the venue isn’t perfect.

I always want to have other things in my life besides dancing, but I also know that dancing, like life, isn’t forever. Today we’ve trying a new venue. I always get nervous before we attend a new place…will the people be friendly? Will they bug me to dance? Will we be stared at? Will we mess up? Where will we sit? And where is the bathroom???

But I will go. Taking chances, as Gary so elegantly said, is part of it. I don’t want to ever experience “what could have been,” especially not with my dancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment