Monday, March 14, 2011

Curtains



No, not curtains to our dancing. Or anything else bad. Curtains as in the ones I had in my bedroom growing up.

I remember a lot about them: they were colorful, silly, and were filled with animals. My mom gave them to me a few years before we started dancing. I figured I’d make something out of them someday.

So I was thinking about them the other day and dug them out. Everything was exactly how I remembered except one thing: the animals are dancing! Highly recognizable and specific dancing, like the cha cha and the swing. And just in case observers can’t recognize the steps, the names of each dance are clearly labeled. I looked at the images and got chills.

I decided to frame one panel. But plenty of material remained. I cut some of the animals out and sewed them onto a skirt.

Once again I’m reminded what a wonderful childhood I had and how grateful I am to a mother that, perhaps even without her knowing, keeps inspiring me.

No comments:

Post a Comment