Friday, April 12, 2013

The Yam


I went digging through Google library today, searching for interesting imagery and ideas from the past. By accident I came across the 193x cover of Life and Fred and Ginger doing something called The Yam. A little research (trust me, very little) brought me to the 1938 Carefree, an Irving Berlin, Fred and Ginger collaboration of the usual sort.
IMDb gives the following plot summary:
Dr. Tony Flagg's friend, Steven, has problems in the relationship with his fiancee, Amanda, so he persuades her to visit Dr. Flagg. After some minor misunderstandings, she falls in love with Dr. Flagg. When he tries to use hypnosis to strengthen her feelings for Steven, things get complicated.
Yeah, complicated by the usual musical comedy fluff. Boy meets girl, boy has problems with girl, and boy and girl work their differences out through a series of improbably song and dance sequences. Something strikes me, though. I’ve seen another Astaire movie, Daddy Longlegs and there’s a common thread – older guy stalking young girl. As a friend once said to me regarding a severely Spring-Autumn relationship, it kinda’ makes you go ewww.

Anyway, here's your dose of dance-related film for the day. Happy Friday!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment