Monday, March 3, 2008

Butt Bows, Our Teacher, and Jeanie's Bottle

I grew up with magical sitcoms. Samantha, Lily, Morticia, and Jeanie were all very good friends. Sam was my favorite, but I have to say Jeanie's bottle would be my lounge area of choice. Can you imagine? Shrinking yourself into a pillow filled, swaged and bejeweled nest where only you could go? OK, so imagine that large enough for hundreds of dancers and you have the Indiana Roof Ballroom. It truly does look like the inside of Jeanie's bottle, only grander. It appears like an ottoman's palace, complete with golden turrets lining the upstairs balcony and a night sky strewn with stars...and a full moon. Heavenly.

Quinn and RalphMelissa and MeThere are dances there every other month or so. We sit with my sister (Quinn) and her husband (Ralph), who are also crazy about dancing. The other lovely woman (in the leopard top) is our dance instructor, Melissa. To say she is fabulous is a huge understatement (she teaches at and co-owns Dance Masters Studio in Indianapolis). Melissa is technically very, very good, and, she is an encouraging and patient instructor. She has also allowed us to tailor our learning in the way Gary and I want. We call ourselves destination dancers". That means the most important thing to us is using our skills at wonderful venues. As much as possible. Destinations are often historic places. We are also interested in the unique culture of every dancing style . Ladies, this means different clothing for every venue. You don't HAVE to, but if you're like me collecting outfits for different kinds of dancing is half the fun.

Speaking of dresses, you may have noticed my choice for this dance. The material is beautiful...a rich, burgundy velvet, edged with satin, spinny full skirt. It is very different than how it started its life. Let me first explain that I am not a sewing expert. What I enjoy is taking apart and/or embellishing an existing garment. Usually something acquired cheaply. So the dress you see started out as a typical 80s dress. Paid five bucks for it. Yes, big puffy shoulder padded bodice. Yes, a huge butt bow. Why would anyone think a giant bow on a woman's butt is a good thing?? Anyway. The bow came off first. Unfortunately that left two holes. So I sewed two butterflies over the small tears. Then I took the sleeves off and hemmed the arm holes. Lots of 80's dresses were made for dancing, and with a few edits can look modern. 70's disco dresses work well too. And 50's era night gowns. But that's for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment