Saturday, April 5, 2008

A Day at the Races

You might have guessed from my previous entries that I’m a little bit of an old movie buff. There’s something more romantic about a movie without color…not that there aren’t romantic color movies; it’s just that something magic comes out when you remove the eye dazzle of Technicolor. Today I got a chance to watch a NetFlix rental, a movie I thought I’d seen before but apparently hadn’t – the Marx Brothers, ‘A Day at the Races’.

The thing that made me realize that I hadn’t watched the movie before was the great dance scene that takes place about two-thirds of the way through it. It’s very concocted (what musical comedy isn’t) and involves some really bad stereotypes, but the scene involves a troupe of dancers that looked really familiar. I did a little checking online and confirmed they are none other than Whitey’s Lindy Hoppers. In fact, A Day at the Races was their first appearance in a major motion picture and they definately refined their style as they gained more experience on camera. The moves these men and women are able to perform are amazing – truly something to aspire to as a fan o f the Lindy Hop. Now if NetFlix only would get their famous movie ‘Hellzapoppin’ I’d be a happy man.

No comments:

Post a Comment