Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Hawkeye Swing Fest - Vintage Dance

I am hopped out. In a good way. The lindy hop conference in Iowa was overall really good. We learned a lot and we came home with some groovy moves. (Hello 8 count hang out swishy-swish). Gary and I are both inspired to add more fun into our swing, which is a very good thing. I won't go into details since my husband has done so more eloquently than I ever could.

Couple of adds. Melissa, if possible, has grown even more fab in my eyes. She is, by FAR, the best technically, the most patient, flexible, and all around fun dance instructor I have ever encountered. I don't know how we got so lucky. Here's to you, Melissa.

My other addition is all about the clothes. Sadly, there isn't much to say. Saturday night was a vintage dance. Supposed to be. I understand for the most part these are college students with not a lot of cash (see my other post on getting clothes cheap), but vintage attire in my humble opinion, is not a modern cotton dress with leggings and tennis shoes. And I do understand that most vintage clothing is not exactly comfortable. I myself wore a new skirt and blouse, but they were 40's in style. Saying that, there were a couple of awesome exceptions: a cool young man in a full zoot suit (you know who you are, you rocked the hat white dancing), a tattooed betty with a swingin' black skirt and off the shoulder red blouse (woohoo), and an absolutely sweet blonde in a maroon 40's suit and black Mary Janes, flower in her hair. So, I was a bit disappointed, because part of the reason I love dancing is to watch the clothes.

Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment