Wednesday, December 31, 2008

You're So Fun!

The Yule holiday has blown past with its usual whirl of wrapping paper and festive engagements. It's always a bittersweet thing, part of me is glad for things to slow down a little - I get to go into that winter hibernation I so dearly love. Another part of me is sorry to see the season pass…hey, I like Christmas ham and getting gifts as much (or more) than the next guy!

During the spate of parties, though, I noticed something that I thought was worth bringing up. We go to several holiday dances - some swinging parties, some ballroom dances - and during one of the more ballroomy events I received what I think is a compliment. I say that I think it was a compliment because - well - I'm just not so sure. We'd just finished an EC Swing and on the way back to our table someone stopped us and remarked that we were 'fun' dancers.

Fun? Fun how? Fun like a clown? Fun like a rollercoaster? Can someone else dancing actually be…fun? In the spirit of the season I took it as a compliment but the longer I thought about it the less I was certain that it actually was intended to be one. Something about it struck me as the sort of thing you'd say to a fifth grader after they'd portrayed a potted poinsettia in the school Christmas pageant…"Gee Tommy it sure is fun to watch you act!"

Then I wonder - in this context what's the opposite of a fun dancer? A dreary dancer? A serious dancer? A stoic dancer? Should I ascribe to be less fun in my dancing? Maybe I should throw in a few good frowns or glares to let everyone know that I mean business when I plie? Maybe I should contact the Dance Curmudgeon to figure out how to be taken more seriously.

Or maybe I should just be happy with being 'fun'? I think that's my course of action because - seriously - who wants to be so wrapped up in propriety that you can't have fun? I mean, why do you dance anyway? It sure as hell doesn't pay the bills (lord, with my taste in shoes and clothes it does the opposite) and I'm not going to win any contests (I'm fine with that, trust me). Aside from getting a good cardio work out about the only thing that's left is having…fun.

So to all your serious cats out there on the dance floor - all of you who are sweating the bend of a knee or the extension of a pinky - relax and look at me. I'm having fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment