Friday, March 6, 2009

Midlife and Dancing

I wrote a post awhile back about sometimes feeling out of time, and how I looked young for my age. A royal bitch when you ARE young, and really nice when you are older. I'm older now so I'm in the nice phase. I've also enjoyed good health and still do. However, what I've discovered with dancing is that although my outside may look much younger than fifty, my joints, alas, are every bit 5-0. Sigh.

Here's what that means for dancing. First. Technique is not just about looking pretty. I have to admit I pooh poohed much of "turn your heel that way and swish your hip this way stuff"; I'd relegated most of that advice to the ballroom style, of which Gary and I are most certainly not. We are club dancers. Club dancers can do it any way they want, right? Wrong. For one thing, doing at least some of the correct techniques does make you look better. Second and most importantly, good technique protects your joints. For example, if you do the Cuban hip motion correctly the stress is mostly on your muscles, not your knees. Muscles can take it. Knees cannot. At least mine can't.

And here's another tip for all of you over fifty dancers. If you do decide to embark on a regimen of exercises designed to improve technique, don't do a hundred on each side the first day. Yup, did that. And I'm paying the price. I whined to my wonderful dance teacher Melissa, that I'd never be able to do it right. She smiled and said sure you will...with proper supervision. She's funny. But correct. So a wiser Kelly actually has signed up for individual lessons in addition to Gary and my paired lessons to Get it Right.

If I had to look on the bright side which I usually do, I would say perhaps this is a very good way for me to learn patience. Not a strong point for me. And, maybe something worth having is worth taking the time to do it right. I don't want to be sidelined. And I want to dance until I keel over.

Preferably not from sore knees.

Dance on.

No comments:

Post a Comment