Sunday, February 7, 2010

Warning: Another Girly Post


I promised last summer to deliver a spray tan post, which I was reminded of last week. I figured since it was dead of winter I could wait until spring, but of course some people have year long bare leg weather. Thanks ever so much for describing your sun filled, February days. GRRRRRR.

Anyway.

I grew up in the Coppertone ad era. Remember the cute bare butted kid that today would probably be nixed as too small child suggestive? Maybe so, but I miss those ads…seeing them meant summer was officially here. I also miss sunbathing, stocked with adult fruity drinks and fashion magazines. That was before I knew about sun damage, sigh.

Lucky for my health, I could never sit still long enough to get that deep dark tan, unlike my mother, who has had skin cancer. Nowadays we all know exactly what those lovely rays do to your skin, so enough said about that.

Fake tan has actually been around for some time. When I was in high school I tried the brand name QT…I think that was the only kind available. I was so excited. Too bad it turned me bright orange. And I mean ORANGE: Day Glo, construction sign orange. Fortunately, sunless tanning products have come a long way since the OopaLoopa variety.

But some people still get it wrong, even on the red carpet. You’ve seen them; lovely ladies beautifully gowned and makeup-ed, their appearance ruined by too much fake tan. I don’t claim to be an expert, but I have used it for many years and have been complimented on my application. So here are my tips.

First, be realistic. If you are naturally minty green, as my husband would say, you will never be able to duplicate a deep dark tan. Be happy with light brown. Second, like nail polish, a couple of thin coats work much better than one thick one. Third, it is work. You have to be willing to maintain your tan several times a week.

Here is the quickest way I’ve found to obtain and keep a pretty color. You can buy gradual tanners. They work but they take forever and are pricey. Save your money and buy the deep dark kind (brands don’t matter…they all work the same), and then cut it with regular lotion. We all have tubes and bottles of horrific smelling glop someone got us for Christmas. Just mix half and half and there you go. WASH YOUR HANDS. Tanned plams look silly. And while you're at it dig under those fingernails. Then use a cotton ball to get the back of your hands. Do that once a week when you have time to let it absorb.

Then in between times use the spray kind. Medium is good. Light if you’re really fair. That only takes a second. It doesn’t work as well as the rub in kind, but great for touch ups and hard to reach areas like your back. Also, you can spray and almost immediately put your clothes on.

If done right, you can achieve a golden glow that covers not only pale skin, but other little, and not so little, imperfections. It is wonderful to pull on a denim skirt and go, one of the great things about warm weather. And bare legs are great for summer dancing, especially at outside venues.
Mostly for me though, going hose-less means winter is finally over. By the looks of things outside my window I’ve got a ways to go. In the meantime, I can drool over this outside ballroom, The Paseo Colorado in Pasadena, CA.

No comments:

Post a Comment