Monday, April 12, 2010

No More Fake Tan

Warning: Girly Post

Could it be your intrepid dancer has GIVEN UP her beloved fake tan? She of the long time use and proficient technique? She who wrote a post lauding the virtues of fake tan not more than a few weeks ago?

It's a woman's prerogative, isn’t it, to change her mind?

And so I have. I still love the look. And you can bet if I head to the beach (or the Midwest equivalent) I will once again spray, rub, and lotion myself tan. But I’ve found, like many items of beauty and fashion, fake tan isn’t always the best dancing partner.

Dancing is a sport. I have to keep reminding myself of that. Especially the way Gary and I dance, which is very athletic. I wear lace up dance shoes for the most part. And I’m sad to say that when I sweat, that lovely tan rubs off…on my beautiful Argentina dance shoes! Eeeek! Not to mention when the shoes come off I now have white flipper feet attached to tan ankles. Not attractive.

So what’s a pale legged, no hose wearin’ when hot, gal to do? Well…maybe I should embrace my paleness. Beige skin is in, right? All those vampires running around in films and books? I should love my natural hue.

Sounds good. But I can’t do it. I was brought up in an era when a suntan wasn’t unhealthy. I will probably always see a golden glow as beautiful. So I investigated what else I could use and discovered… body shimmer. This stuff can be smoothed over legs, arms, and shoulders, avoiding the area where my shoe comes in contact with my foot. Tan it’s not, but it does give the skin a pretty glow and smooth surface. And it comes right off next shower.

Shimmers exist in a myriad of colors and glitter levels. You can also choose lotions, oils, or loose powders. I dabbled around with a few, and have come up with a couple that are not outrageously expensive.

I like lotions the best. Nivea makes a lovely one that comes in various shades. The shimmer is subtle…nice for day. For evening the Body Shop does a lotion that is glimmery gold without looking like you dumped a packet of glitter over you. It’s perfect for evening. If you want something with more substance, L’oreal makes a pretty shimmer cream. Good for shoulders.

It’s funny how dancing, unlike anything else, has changed the way I choose clothing, makeup, and shoes. I never consider buying an article of clothing now without assessing its danc-a-bility. I cut my hair short in the summer because I can’t stand it on my neck when I dance during hot weather. I keep my nails short so I don’t spear Gary’s palm. And now my fake tan has gone by the wayside. Seesh. What next?

This dancing thing is just plain crazy.

Crazy good.

1 comment:

  1. G Here. I would like to say my dear wife's abandoning fake tan is a ruse! Don't fall for it!

    ReplyDelete