Monday, June 21, 2010

BLING!



And this time I mean actual bling, not dance step bling. Oh…warning: girly post.

Remember the Bedazzler? For those of you too young to remember, the Bedazzler was (and they may still sell them), a way to encrusts one’s garments with stones, ala the 1980s. Most of the stones were, um, rather cheap looking. But they looked just fine with the huge bejeweled dresses and tops of that era.

I kinda liked the 80s. And even if over the top bling is not presently stylish, on the dance floor bring it ON. Go to any women’s bathroom in a dance venue and you will see sequins, rhinestones, and glitter all over the floor, the flotsam and jetsam of the world of dance.

And so I dug out my old Bedazzler, intent on glaming up my dresses and jeans. But those stones…ugh. They just didn’t match today’s crystals. Can you say Swarovski?

Why yes you can.

Because joy of joys, I discovered Swarovski makes crystals that can be affixed to clothing without the cumbersome Bedazzler or messy glue. You do need the Hotfix applicator. I got mine on ebay for 14 bucks. It’s like a curling iron except tiny, you press it against the stone and it melts the glue on the back… voilà! Make sure you put something hard (like a cutting board) between the cloth and the other side to keep from sticking both sides together, unless something heavy like denim.

The stones to get say Hotfix. Make sure they say this. I’m embarrassed to say I stood over my capris holding the Hotfix applicator waiting…and waiting for an unglued stone to stick.

The stones come in a myriad of colors and sizes. Sigh. I love it. Maybe too much. Gary said he’s afraid to go to sleep…

No comments:

Post a Comment