Saturday, September 25, 2010

Save Our Barn...

I'm not a guy for causes. Okay, scratch that, actually I'm not a guy for talking about my causes. I come from the particular branch of Indiana men who believe your opinions should be like your underwear - covered up while in public. This isn't because I have any less faith in what I believe, it's because the world has enough yelling and screaming in it and adding to the din won't do a thing to solve any of the very real problems we have. Now that I've said that, I'm going to violate my own principals and recommend you jump in to support a cause that should be dear to anyone who is an Indiana-based dancer.

This past week in my usual haul of email I got the schedule for upcoming events for Mike's Dance Barn in Nashville, IN. I gave it a look, knowing that one of my personal favorites Terry Lee and his Rockaboogie Band would be playing there in October. I read through the dates, noting events I might like to attend until I reached one particular entry on the calendar that caught my eye.

October 3rd, Save Our Barn Benefit. That got my attention - I read further:


"Mike is having a FUNDRAISER today to help in saving the Dance Barn from impending tax sale.


PLEASE HELP us keep our entertainment venue going for your enjoyment with all the great music and dancing that is done here.


Benefit starts at 2:00pm and a buffet will be served.


There will several bands to entertainment you for the day and a silent auction. Any donations of items for the auction will be greatly appreciated as well as any monetary donations.


Cover charge is $20 and will include the meal if you want to eat.


Thank you for all your patronage and support thru the years. - Billy and Carla"

There it was, another dance venue potentially going under. Personally I think the Dance Barn is one of the best spots to dance in Indiana. The floor's kept in excellent condition, the sound is good, and the bands fill a niche that isn't addressed anywhere else. Where else can you catch a band like Terry Lee, have a good meal on the cheap, and generally have a great time? There are a lot of ballroom spots in central Indiana but nothing that caters to the country-swing element while maintaining a good safe-feeling environment where the dancing is the main focus. Mike's place is one of a kind and I hope you'll read this and flood the building like George Bailey's living room in It's a Wonderful Life. After all, tis getting near the season…

No comments:

Post a Comment