Monday, October 11, 2010

Flamenco!

Gary and I attended a benefit event Friday evening for Joy's House in Indianapolis (alas, no viable public dancing), but we did get to see some fabulous flamenco dancers. I was absolutely enthralled.

The steps are very cool too, but I could not take my eyes off the women's hands...graceful swirls, passionate gestures, belly dancing-like wrist flips, salsa "holding the egg", all woven together into a style that is unique. I plan on working a few of the hand motions into my own dancing.

What I liked just as much as the dancing itself was the powerful feeling evoked by the women; female flamenco dancers seem to be saying I am strong, sexy, and elegant. And do not mess with me.

Check out the below video. The music is not traditional flamenco, but I chose this because the shadow style shows off the hands and body.

No comments:

Post a Comment