Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Dichotomy

This past weekend turned out to be one of extremes. We danced at two different venues to two different bands and I left both events with somewhat mixed feelings.

Saturday we went to see The Original Salty Dogs, a Purdue University spawned Dixieland Jazz Band, at the Robin Run Retirement Village. Now, when I heard about the venue I had suspicions about our ability to actually dance but it turned out okay. We were in a basement-level activity room with linoleum floors and an actual stage. The turnout was less than fifty people, all spread around various tables and unanimously there for the music. About three songs into the set the band scrubbed off a danceable tune and Kelly and I did our WCS.

Now, let me say that I don't object to being watched while I dance. Some people feel really self-conscious when they feel that they're being observed but I'm not one of those people.  I figure that I'm there to have fun and though it's nice to be admired, I really could give a flying hoot whether onlookers think I'm a great dancer or a freak (in fact there are times I kind of like the freak designation).  I hadn't prepared myself for becoming a commented part of the afternoon's entertainment. The song came to an end and then the leader of the band made a point of thanking 'Fred and Ginger' for their dancing. That was fine, I mean we were the only ones dancing and we were bound to be noticed not only by the audience but also by the band. I'm okay with being in the spotlight a little bit…but then the band leader proceeded to bring the subject up every time we danced. End result, I think we danced four numbers over the afternoon's time. We did, however, get many compliments which salves being made the center of attention. The question that sticks with me, though, is whether we were being called out because we were good dancers or if the guy figured we were stealing his limelight? I guess I'll never know and it really doesn't matter, in the end we had a good time.

Sunday we headed to the Indiana Roof Ballroom for the last dance of the 2010 Big Band Series and effectively the end of the Roof's 2010 dance season. I always wondered why the Roof doesn't have a December holiday dance. They've got the perfect space for it - large and grand, the kind of place that decorates beautifully. I suppose they rent their space out to various companies for holiday functions, I don't know.

Sunday the Russ Morgan Orchestra played the Roof. They're a really good band even if they have a gap in their tempo. The Orchestra tends to play fast swings, rumbas, and cha cha's and then kind of draggy foxtrots and waltzes. The end result was that we spent a lot of time plying our newly learned vintage foxtrot which also means I spent a lot of time feeling very awkward. I can say that I'm proud of our getting out on the floor and dancing a style we're not as comfortable performing. We did the basic step a whole lot but we maneuvered around and even avoided some of the senior-clots that tend to form around the edges of the floor.

The downside of Sunday in fact was the crowd and the way that the Roof managed the dance. Due to this being the last dance of the 2010 series it was busy and we wound up sitting at a different table than usual. This isn't a problem; I mean we were still on the floor which makes things easier when you dance a lot. Unfortunately, the luck of the draw put us with a less than pleasant couple as neighbors.  Not only did they proselytize for helping them get enough buyers to bring the Guy Lombardo Orchestra to their event in Cincinnati by selling tickets at our clubs, they seemed incensed when we told them that the bylaws of our clubs forbid selling anything including tickets. Afterward they both implied we were immature while the female half, alternately, flashed her 50th anniversary ring remarking repeatedly on its carat weight. There seems to be a pervading trend toward rudeness in the ballroom community recently. I hate to be that guy who complains that people no longer have manners but I guess I am and I should own it.

Another unfortunate trend is that the Roof has (seemingly) started selling general admission tickets and adding tables to accommodate the overflow on the fly. This results in a more crowded dance floor which means less quality dancing. I'm all for the Roof making money - that will keep the facility in top shape and allow booking better bands. However, this is a dance and when profit outweighs the dancing experience that the patrons have, then you've started a downward spiral. Also the tables that are being added aren't on the promenade, they're on the floor. This creates two rows of tables in some spots and in others, one row…so while you travel around the dance floor you encounter traffic jams and eddies of people trying to flow around the obstacles that the staff randomly place throughout the evening. Poor form, Roof - I hope you'll reconsider in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment