Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Kabuki



Kabuki is highly stylized, traditional Japanese theatre; clothing and makeup are chosen to express a particular character. I just finished writing a book that has Japanese overtones, so that’s probably why Kabuki images have been flitting through my mind lately.

I also had an interesting comment on my dancing. A friend of mine recently saw us dance. You guys are great, she said, but you were, um, different. Different how, say I. She paused. You were flirty. I laughed and said yeah, that’s my dancing persona.

I still think she was weirded out.

I thought about that for awhile. This friend and I know each other very well. But she was surprised. I can see why. I’m rather shy in real life. And even if I wasn’t, flirty just causes too much trouble. And then there’s the fact that in real life I don’t do it too well. Once before I was married I tried winking at a guy. He came over and asked if something was in my eye. No joke.

So anyway, I do laugh a lot, but I can be serious. Definitely not flirty. But it is a side of me. Leonard Nimoy, of Star Trek fame, has done a wonderful set of photos called the secret self that my sister Quinn turned me on to. In them he attempted, with great success, to demonstrate that part of you no one sees, but is very much alive.

When I’m dancing, I can express my flirty side in a safe and non-judgemental environment. Like Kabuki, I choose my clothing and makeup to enhance that secret side. It’s very freeing. And a whole lot of fun.

Gary loves it. I'm glad. But I don’t do it for him.

I do it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment