Sunday, December 26, 2010

Blow Off the Stink

When I was young I had a wonderful babysitter named Mrs. Johnston. She was a feisty, sometimes a bit ribald, older woman who always treated me more like an adult than a child. I loved her for that. We remained friends even when I grew up; I never tired of hearing her stories of playing with a big band. (She even played for USO dances.) She was the essence of cool.

One of my favorite sayings of hers was “get out there and blow off the stink.” She used this expression when she believed I was lolling about the house too much and needed some fresh air and exercise.

Tonight Gary and I are attending a Continentals dance. There won’t be a band, but there will be CDs and lots of dancing. With too many cookies under my belt and a New Year’s Eve marathon just around the corner, my lungs, legs, and feet need a good workout.

It’s always kinda sad to take down the holiday decorations, but it also feels good to get things cleaned up and back to normal. For us, that means dancing several times a week and perhaps a bit less butter and sugar. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment