Tuesday, July 19, 2011

White Space

French composer Claude Debussy said, “Music is the space between the notes.” And if you listen to his music you know exactly what this means. Debussy is the master, in my humble opinion, of this concept. The “unused space” within his music is deliberate without seeming so, beautiful, and haunting. He leaves notes hanging, drifting away like a cloud into nothingness. It leaves me wanting, aching, for that next phrase, balanced on the edge of a cliff, and then…there it is.

I like to think about this concept in dance. When I first started I was concerned about steps, technique, “getting” the leads, and not falling on my butt. As Gary and I have expanded and grown into our own personal style, we've experimented with the concept of white space.

White space isn’t exactly timing differences…although I believe these are interesting too…white space is what Debussy said, the space between. In dance, that would be between steps. It’s hard to explain. For me it could be holding a step until the very last moment, and then making a snap turn. It’s sinking down into a drop…holding it…and oozing back up slowly, again just in time for that next step. Sometimes it’s a full stop with a finger snap. Or a slow sway that ends at my fingertips. Sometimes I do it all by myself. Other times I match what Gary’s doing.

But we don’t often mimic each other, and that’s OK. Feeling those musical spaces is individual. Even Debussy, while creating a stop within a major theme might carry on with a background melody. When Gary and I do stop at the exact same place it’s powerful, but it can’t be forced.

But then, dancing should never be forced.

I know I’m a worn out record on these two, but watch Tess and Miles in this clip. It’s easy to get lost in their fabulous moves, exquisite stylings , and innovative chorography, so watch it twice…or more. Note their white spaces. It’s a beautiful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment