Sunday, August 21, 2011

Happy Birthday Lou

We had the good fortune of sitting with Lou tonight when we went to the Indiana Roof. Today was Lou’s birthday – his 91st birthday. In fact, the last time he visited the Roof was back in January of 1941 on New Year’s Eve. Pause to imagine that for a moment. 11 months from the day he first visited the Roof, the Japanese would bomb Pearl Harbor. Shortly after, he’d be off to the war, risking his life for his country and traveling to a lot of places he’d never seen before. It’d be seventy years before he’d return to the Roof, I just feel lucky to have had the chance to sit at the same table as he did.

Every time I meet someone like Lou I’m left sincerely hoping that, at the age of 91, I’ve got the wherewithal and health to keep dancing. I hope that, no matter what life throws at me, I’ll keep going. I hope that I’ll remember what it means to dance, how to let the weight of life drop long enough to enjoy a good band and an afternoon with the one I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment