Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Ouch

Injuries are a part of any sport. And dancing, while beautiful, is very much a sport.

About five months ago I hurt my shoulder. I ignored it, thinking it would get better. It didn't. So I finally went to the doc. I had rotator cuff issues plus a dash of frozen shoulder. I didn't know I had a rotator cuff, and who knew body parts could freeze??

But after many months of therapy and a big ol' cortisone shot, it's almost completely well.

Learnings? One. If you hurt yourself go sooner rather than later. My shoulder would not have gotten as inflamed had I done that. Two. Don't get discouraged. It took a long time for me to get better. There were some moves I couldn't do for awhile. Three. Be careful. I haven't stopped doing jumps, leaps, and drops, but I approach them like an athlete now, which means I learn them slowly and don't do them when I"m tired. Or Gary is tired. :-)

There will be injuries. There will probably be more the older I get. But I intend on doing the lindy hop way past when people think I ought to. I'm just like that.

Here's a pic of us doing a drop. It feels so good to be able to do them again. Thanks Dr. Sallay (Methodist Sports in Indy), and Scott (the PT). I may not be a professional dancer, but dancing is one of the most important things in my life

No comments:

Post a Comment