Thursday, December 29, 2011

Guitar Noir

One of my favorite gifts this year from Gary was a CD by my favorite surf band, the Aqua Velvets. Their new CD, Guitar Noir, is...the best ever. As I sank down into a post-holiday bath, wine glass in hand, the music took me to some far away shore, dancing under the moonlight and swaying palms.

They never leave the west coast. I don't blame them. It would be a dream someday to dance to their gorgeous sounds. It's hard to describe...surf, with a dash of Latin and middle eastern flavor, mysterious, yet tongue in cheek. I don't know how they mix all of that in there, but it works.

Listen to some of the liner notes...as I stared across the water I saw a school of mermaids dancing and singing in the moonlight....I closed my eyes and danced a slow dance with a fast girl...I sat in the dark corner of a smoky basement subterranean dive while a couple dressed in black broke into a mysterious mambo slicing the thick, sultry air with steps of passion...

Yeah. Someday.

Here they are doing the first track off the CD.

No comments:

Post a Comment