Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Very Old-Fashioned New Year



I’ve experienced many New Year’s Eve celebrations, from the sublime to the, um, Party-ROCK. I’ve enjoyed every one of them. If you believe whatever you do on the eve is what you will be doing the next year, then that is what Gary and I want to be doing when the countdown begins.

A New Year’s dance can be very expensive, and this year we are watching our budget. Another factor in our choice is that we like spending that holiday with my parents, who also dance They are members of a community center in Raleigh, Indiana, who have been having a dance every Saturday night for 50 years. I’ve mentioned them before. We like it there.

But what would Raleigh be like on New Year’s? Gary and both like glitz and glamour, especially on that night. We arrived around 8:30; admission was 15 bucks a piece and a covered dish. Doesn’t get much better than that. The decorations were wonderful; glittery stuff hung from the ceiling and a fat holiday tree to the side. Very retro. The people, as always, were warm and welcoming.

Gary and I danced and danced. Many of the people there were older, like really older…over 90. They told us they used to dance like we do but now they couldn’t. As we drove home under a three quarter moon I was reminded that life is NOW. And as our favorite DJ Ron Fentz says, “Let’s dance.”

Happy New Year to all. If you dance, I hope you do it more often. If you don’t and have always wanted to, I wish for you the courage to try this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment