Monday, March 12, 2012

Butt Bounce

No, this blog has not suddenly switched directions. :-)

In a previous life in a large corporation far far away I helped people understand personality traits, explaining they are neither good nor bad, but they are linked. So, for example, if you decide you want to marry a CEO type you must realize that person will most likely never put you first. Choosing a powerful leader isn’t “bad,” but you have to accept what comes with that.

Gary and I have been learning and doing complicated and possibly dangerous dance “tricks” for over a year. We’ve been very careful to select ones that fit our blended physicality and the social arenas where we dance. We are learning them under expert tutelage (Melissa...our beloved instructor at Fred Astaire South Indy).We also try not to do them when either of us feels tired or distracted.

Up until last weekend I’ve never fallen while dancing; I’ve tripped, stumbled, and done a floor spin once where people thought I’d fallen, but never a real spill. I took one last Saturday night. It wasn’t spectacular, but I did bounce once on my butt. What happen was we spun during a lift just a little too hard and so I put my feet down on a floor that was still moving…didn’t work.

A dance fall is a little like being pregnant…you get lots of stares, a giggle or two, sympathy, advice, and expert opinions on keeping it from happening again, all of which is mostly unwanted and wrong.

But that’s the way it is. If you fall you’re going to be in the public eye big time. And if you do tricks someone’s going to fall sooner or later, and if you’re the follower it’s most likely going to be you.

Embarrassing? Yeah. But I noticed the comments were from people who I’ve never seen do a dance trick. I’m not saying Gary and I are better dancers, but we aren’t afraid to take risks.

So…I dusted myself off with as much dignity as I could and listened and nodded to all who stopped by. In a way it was a relief. I’m sure it will happen again. Now the ice has been broken. By my butt. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment