Sunday, March 4, 2012

Doom, Gloom and a Silver Lining



Please tell me I’m not the only one. It seems if I like something…whether that be a food, a beverage, lipstick, shampoo, jeans, shoes…they quit making it. Examples: Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific shampoo and I know you can get it on eBay but it costs a fortune, or the style of Sketcher shoes I like it’s a good thing I have multiple pairs, and on and on. I’ve dealt with these little annoyances over the years and have come to understand if I like something it’s doomed.

But now the gloves are off; my beloved Argentina tango shoes are no more. At least, they are no longer available at the place I used to get them. I don’t know what happened, but the shoes they now say are “tango sneakers” are not the kind I have loved and worn for three years. I’ve had such a struggle with my dance shoes and now that I’ve found ones that work for me they are gone??? I wrote to the company…where are my shoes???? No reply. Maybe my hysterical email scared them. Crazy American shoe lady. But this is bad. Very bad. I dance a lot and wear out my shoes, and last year’s are about worn through. I get two pairs a year. Hey…you replace running shoes every 6 months.

So. I am researcher by training and nature, especially when I’m motivated. Especially when we’re talking about dance shoes. First discovery: I found that the place I bought my sneakers actually got them from somewhere else. The name brand of these shoes is Fabio. (Perfect name.) They have a store. In Argentina. They have a website. In Spanish.

Discovery two: I found some other Argentina sites that do sell Fabio shoes and have an English option. And I now have a greater appreciation for the original place I purchased my sneakers. The old place could be, um, quirky, ”these shoes will make your fingers grip the floor” or the occasional “we are out of blue you may have silver”, but overall I was very happy with the service. And the shoes. The new sites give quirky a whole new definition: “we can't guarantee the color OR the fit.” Heh? Color is one thing, but you can’t guarantee the FIT? And of course, sending them back to Argentina is about 35 bucks, and who knows how many times you’d have to mail back and forth if they can’t guarantee the size? Seesh.

Discovery three: there are no dealers in the US that sell Fabio, except for some dance schools and they mark them up. I understand. Dance schools have to make money. But I need to keep mine.

Discovery four: I found a store in Canada called Guaranteed Fit Tango Shoes. They had my beloved Fabio sneakers, and do indeed guarantee the fit as long as you return them clean, although I knew I wouldn’t need to. They ended up being cheaper than the old Argentina place because the shipping was only around 15 bucks. And they arrive in about two weeks as opposed to over a month. You can also earn 5 bucks off your next pair if you review them. They were not exactly like my original ones…the heel is one centimeter higher…but close enough.

The only bad thing? They come in black and… black. SIGH. Don’t get me wrong, black is my color of choice, but dang, a girl needs some bling. Lucky for me I’m handy with the fabric paint. I ordered two pairs and decorated one with silver and the other with a golden copper. On the Argentina Fabio site the sneakers come in a blinding array of colors, prints, and levels of sparkle. Drool.

Whew. At least I have my shoes. Although now I’m worried. I like this company…

http://www.guaranteedfittangoshoes.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment