Friday, June 22, 2012

A Girl Post of a Different Color

I’ve always loved movies with Kick Ass Girls...with an important caveat.  A girl kicking an ass, (or multiple asses), in my book must actually look as though she could, you know, kick them. Many actors chosen for these roles are very pretty, but I just can’t see those flimsy arms and legs knocking down anyone. My benchmark is Angelina Jolie in the first Tomb Raider movie.

So it was with some trepidation that a friend of mine introduced me to Gina Carano in Haywire. The minute she walked, no strode, onto the set I knew she was an athlete. I didn’t know until afterwards that she is a world renowned mixed marshal arts champion. The movie itself wasn’t as good as Tomb, but I am betting she could kick Ms. Jolie’s ass high and wide, and understand, I love Angie’s Tomb fight scenes with an almost religious fervor.

I usually don’t like boxing, kick boxing and their ilk in real life because it is so violent, but a choreographed movie score, that’s different. OK, I’m seething mass of inconsistencies. Anyway, as I watched the movie and then you tube vids of Gina, I noticed something. Despite all the face punching and floor mauling, the movements are beautiful. Dancer-like. Dare I say Argentina tango-like in some of the arabesques and kick turns. In the end, I loved that fighting can be beautiful, just like dancing can be athletic; two sides of the same coin. 

I think Gary was a little scared when I told him I just might incorporate some of those lovely kicks in our Swango. Heh heh. Be afraid.

Here’s a you tube vid of Gina doing her thing. It is violent…be warned. But it is also breathtaking.



No comments:

Post a Comment