Thursday, May 22, 2008

All I Need is a Hunk of Wood

This weekend will be the first one in about a month when we haven’t had some kind of dancing ‘thing’ going on. It seems odd – with Memorial Day being observed you’d think that someone would have a local Memorial Day Dance-a-Ganza. Then again, maybe it’s not so surprising since Memorial Day is a day meant to memorialize those who gave their lives in armed combat. Flags on tombstones just don’t inspire one to Charleston, I guess.

So, without a dance to write about I’ll take the opportunity to say that I’m just looking for a good floor where we can practice our traveling dances without the interference of pets or furniture. Our place is comfortably small and though it has parquet floors which are great for practicing the Lindy or ECS, the close quarters play merry hell with a Fox Trot. If I’m not obsessing over stepping on the cat I’m worrying about backing Kelly into the credenza. Not things I want to be thinking about while trying to master a parallel walk and while I’ve convinced myself that somehow these obstacles help me cope with Johnny Schlep-a-lot out on the dance floor they’re still obstructions I’d rather just avoid.

That brings me back to a hunk of wood – or even tile. It’s amazing how hard it is to find a good sized space with a wood or tile surface where you can practice dance for an hour. We gave our local gym a shot thinking that their aerobics classes surely are held on some kind of smooth surface...but to our amazement they have this weird, knobbly rubber flooring that’s just…ick.

The options so far are:

  1. Dancing at the mall – as if the mall walkers weren’t weird enough
  2. Finding a new gym – the first time I will have ever quit a gym because I can’t dance to it
  3. Sell our furniture – yeah, I can’t see myself watching football while laying on the floor either

So I guess until we find a nearby location we’ll just keep dancing around the obstacles while proclaiming the benefits to our floor-man-ship. Yeah…right…

No comments:

Post a Comment