Monday, June 16, 2008

Dance of Life

You only go around once in life. Never put off to tomorrow what you can do today. Dance like no one is watching.

I realize these three quotes are a mixture of a beer commercial, a part of some famous utterance by I believe Benjamin Franklin, and the last part of some cheesy plaque I saw in a gift store, but these three bits are what came to me after a pretty hard last couple of weeks.

Here's why. A favorite relative of mine died, and then Tim Russert from Meet the Press passed away. These two events hit me hard. My aunt because I loved her, and Mr. Russert because he was 58. 58! A heart attack. Dead.

These two events caused me to contemplate that life really is short, and whatever one's belief in the afterlife, I think it is safe to say it won't be exactly like THIS life. Perhaps I will dance somewhere or somewhen, but again, it will be different.

So I want to dance now. Dance, dance, dance. Swing dance, rockabilly dance, ballroom dance, salsa dance. I want to kick up my heels before my heels kick me. I want to twirl, swirl, and wear my pretty clothes, rejoice in the arms of a man who loves me and that I love with all my heart. Giggle with my sister seated next to me who also loves to dance.

To those of you who don't feel "ready" to hit the floor: Don't wait. Don't listen to the voices in your head saying you are not good enough, not pretty enough to dance, not whatever enough. Don't worry about what others might think. Who cares? Life is precious, a gorgeous, easily torn butterfly wing. What you have today may not be there tomorrow.

Get out there now.

The music won't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment