Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Dance isn't for the Faint of Heart

In the couple of years we've been at it I've learned dancing definitely is a sport. It's physically demanding, requires coordination, and teamwork - many of the same qualities you find in baseball, basketball, and football. Up until this past weekend, that's where the similarities ended as far as I was concerned. I mean you're not going to get your block knocked off on the dance floor, right? Right?

Wrong.

This is the story of how my dear wife beat me up and left me with a black eye. It's a cautionary tale for you fellows out there especially when I look back at the incident and think what could have happened if she'd really had it in for me. Take heed, my friends because this could be you.

Saturday night we went to our usual Brickyard Boogie dance at Starlight Ballroom. It was supposed to be an easy evening - we had plans to be at the Indiana Roof on Sunday night so we weren't going to do any heavy lifting. Just a few swing tunes and maybe a fox trot if the DJ felt inclined to play one.

The evening started well enough. The musical selection's a bit predictable but that's part of being a regular and I don't mind knowing that the first tune out of the gates always will be a swingable shag. We've been working on curing a curious habit of pulling to the right anyway so predictable actually was a help.

Through the first hour everything went swell. We were on - not burning the building down but on none the less. Going into the second hour the DJ pulled out a Brian Setzer tune and we got into a fast swing. It probably was a little too fast for triple swing but that's what we do and it was going well. I sent Kell into a double spin and got ready to close and I never saw the elbow coming.

It caught me right below the right eye; the ballroom went a little wonkey, and the next thing I know I'm hobbling off the floor unable to see for the tears in my eyes. Apparently I either short-armed our spin or started to close too early because I'd caught Kelly's elbow full force. All I can say is it hurt like hell and for the next two or three tunes I sat out trying to collect myself.

So, just remember this when you're on the dance floor. If you tick your lady friend off she might lay you low! I'm just glad she didn't hit me like she meant it!

2 comments: