Saturday, November 21, 2009

Just Routine

Kelly and I made a big decision recently. Well, a big decision for us and our dancing. We decided that we would undertake doing a Routine at one of the upcoming Fred Astaire events. I call it a 'Routine' because the thing has taken on an air of event-ness that I think warrants capitalization. Small 'r' routine is, well, just average, normal, and nothing out of the regular every day thing while big 'R' Routine has weight, heft, and is just something you've got to decide to take on or let go by. Up until recently (and I think I've written about this) we'd been of the opinion that though Routines were cool we weren't interested in doing one. This wasn't because we didn't think it was worth our time or because we didn't appreciate the artistic component - frankly we just didn't want to devote a large portion of our time and dance lessons to a onetime thing.

Now, before I'm reminded of this fact, yes - I know that some of the moves we learn for the Routine will translate into everyday social dancing. I also know that the combinations of moves won't easily make that leap and I don't plan on becoming one of those dancers who have to run over three people because the double lutz always comes after the back flip sow-cow.

That said, the more we discussed Routines and their pros/cons the more Kelly and I found ourselves saying things like. "If we did a Routine…" and "I think a good tune for a Routine would be…". We were talking favorably about something that, before, we'd been set against. So, we decided we should take the plunge.

So, in true Kelly and Gary style we've selected a bizarre song. I've included the YouTube video here - it has nothing to do with dancing really and generally consists of a pretty hack (if funny) video, but it gives you an idea of what feeling the Routine will have. I'll be writing more about the process of choreographing, practicing, and generally making sure we don't make fools of ourselves in coming posts so keep an open eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment