Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Routine

I’m excited too. As Gary said, we went from no, don’t think so, to um, maybe, to yes let’s, and now….I’m really excited!

We did have some concerns. As Gary said, at first we didn’t want to spend time on it…we were just beginning to dance, and we wanted technique and steps we could use out every week on the floor.

But we also thought that doing a routine meant it was choreographed by someone else. To us that meant coloring in someone else’s lines; we wanted to do the drawing ourselves. Well. We've learned two things. One is that a routine can be designed by someone else, but it doesn’t have to be. Two is that having someone assist and suggest isn’t a bad thing. And of course, since we have the best dance teacher in the world, she is going to let us have as much artistic control as we want, while gently suggesting that perhaps, a triple wheelie backwards flip just doesn’t fit in that waltz part. :-)

So. We gleefully picked out a weird and wonderful song and have already started to create steps. We’ve written the story line for our routine. I’ve even ordered the skirt. But here’s the hard part: I CAN’T TALK ABOUT IT! I want to. I really do. But Gary wants to keep it a surprise mostly, so I’m honoring that. But how can I talk about its evolution without telling about it??? Heavy sigh.

I so want to blab. I’m a blabber about my creative process, as you might know from reading my writer’s blog. Funny, because in any other area I’m as tight as a clam. When people tell me stuff and say don’t tell, you can bet I won’t. Even when I’m not sure I keep my mouth shut. I don’t discuss me much either, except for my creative endeavors.

My artwork, my books, my dancing, about all of those things I can chatter away. I don’t know why exactly…I don’t necessarily want the feedback…once I start talking I’ve already decided, but I DO enjoy getting embellishment ideas from others, so maybe that’s the reason.

But mostly it just feels good to let the cork out of the bottle. And right now I’ve got all of this fizzy goodness locked up inside about the routine. ARGGHHHHHH!!!

But then, Gary’s already posted the song. Shouldn’t I get to let out one little peep? I’m gonna. Our song, Planet X, is based on the old sci-fi move The Angry Red Planet, and our routine will reflect a little of that.

Ah. I feel better now.

No comments:

Post a Comment