Thursday, January 21, 2010

More En Clave

En Clave rhythm dancing or Puerto Rican style salsa is hard to find on You Tube. Or maybe it's because I still don't know exactly what I'm looking for. However, I did find some couples dancing it, only because I searched on a song that has a strong clave beat by Ray Barreto titled Acid.

And I found a perfect example. This couple is not the best I found, but since they are still learning they are not going at break neck speed so you can see what they are doing. The beat is clear...and tap tap and tap tap tap, or 1 2 and 1 2 3. Of course, in practice it's not that robotic. Which is why I love this style so much.

For lack of a better word, "regular" salsa, wherever you break it, is essentially three beats and a hold. It has a marching feel, although that is less obvious when good dancers are doing it. Because the clave rhythm is 2-3, it has a sinuous, smooth feeling. Some of the patterns remind me of WCS.

Here's the video. Listen to the beat and watch this couple swing in and out. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment