Thursday, January 14, 2010

Unexpected Delight

My brother-in-law Ralph has a favorite quote that says something like life is a series of unexpected events. Unexpected, of course, can be good, or it can be bad.

This unexpected event was a good one. We are going back to our studio with a new understanding of each other. In a nutshell, our studio is allowing us to be us! And allowing is not the right word; they are going to TEACH us to be more us, if that makes sense. Not that we didn’t get some of that before, but Gary and I both felt we were the walking the line, as my mom used to say. Now we feel embraced.

And this, ladies and gentleman, is from a ballroom studio. Gary and I are both so impressed. We always knew Melissa was the Best Teacher In The World. But now…could it be that the studio could also merit that title?

I knew this year was going to be a doozy as far as our dancing goes, but we could have never have predicted this. Will we still experiment with other studios? Yes. For one thing, we can’t expect our instructor, fabulous as she is, to learn every dance we want to learn. Second, we want to experience different teaching styles. Take the clave rhythm. I never ever thought I could learn by “feeling” the beat, but it turns out I can. And we both love learning a “street” style of salsa that is danced…on the streets of Puerto Rico. Maybe we'll go someday. And fit right in. Ha.

Anyway, I guess the lesson is you just never know.

The good part of all of this is that although painful, Gary and I now have a crystal clear vision of what we want and where we are going.

And now that we all have this new understanding, it is nice to have a dance central spot from which to radiate out from. Who else but Melissa is going to get “in our West Coast Cha we want more Latin” or teach us rockabilly? No one I know.

It feels like coming home.

No comments:

Post a Comment