Monday, May 17, 2010

The Bop - Part 5

The drop and the scooter! Or maybe the scooter and the drop. I don't know, it's all becoming a poorly illustrated blur to me now. Ray's instructions for the Bop aren't nearly over though. We've moved on to part 5 of the instructional booklet that accompanied his album entitled (hold your breath) Dance the Bop.

I went through the instructions for the scooter several times and I checked out the photos – to quote Oh Brother Where Art Thou that don't make no sense. Firstly, if this is one of the "most common" and "most popular" steps in the bop, don't you think it should have been discussed sometime before page 5 of the instruction booklet? I mean she's not spinning on top of her head, it's not like this is the most difficult looking thing in the world. That said the writer had a hell of a time putting it on paler in any way that remotely makes sense! I think this is the same foot movement as the rockabilly sliding and pivoting basic. I would describe that motion as:

Step on forward with your left foot, keeping your weight on your heel. Then, pivoting on your heel, shift your weight onto your left toe so that you have turned clockwise about 22 degrees.

I know, that explanation uses math but it's quantifiable and doesn't require mushy words like 'barely'. Mostly I get the impression we're seeing something similar to the rockabilly from the photo of the couple (below the written instructions for the scooter). The positioning is roughly right both at the beginning of the step and afterward.

I'm glad the author started the directions on the drop by telling us that it is a good looking step. I'm not sure if that differentiates it from the other steps by implying they were crappy looking or if he believed that the written description would leave us with some doubt that needed to be allayed. Joking aside, the described move does sound interesting. I can see it working in rockabilly and I'm planning on stealing it if my knees will allow. A move that involves gradually doing deep knee bends to the beat of a rock n' roll tune reminds me that this is a dance of youth. It required the sort of frenetic energy I see in my nephews and nieces, bounce off the floor and keep going without hesitation energy. Ah, youth.

There are three wardrobe changes on this page. I also wonder if our dance model isn't up to the challenge of the bop if she pitted out three blouses before they could get the shots they needed for an eight-page brochure!

No comments:

Post a Comment