Saturday, May 15, 2010

The Fairy Ball, Revisited

The Fairy Ball, found on either coast of the US (most wanted to attend: Jareth's Labyrinth Ball in California which I’ve written about), and in the UK. There are LOTS of fairy balls in the UK. Here’s a flyer for one of those. SIGH.



Ubiquitous elsewhere, but not around the Midwest. But even if such a magical dance is not in my near future, I can still dream about it. Which begs the question: what do fairies wear to a ball? I’m sure you’d get as many answers to this query as there are fairies, but this mortal's favorite place for enchanted vestments is Gypsy Moon Clothing. This website has operated for many years and I have been drooling over their garments just as long. I’ve never bought anything. Too expensive for me. But I love looking. They’ve expanded a lot over the years. They now have Stevie Nicks inspired dresses, “urban fairy” looks, and a collection based around the artwork of Wendy Froud, wife of famed fairy artist Brian Froud, and quite talented in her own right.

One of the many reasons I love dancing is that it gives opportunities to dress up. Glitter in your hair. Sure. Crowns? I’ve seen ‘em. Princess gowns, vampire- esque dresses, opera gloves, bling jeans, rhinestones, 1920 zootsuits…and that just for a normal dance. Period dances, theme dances, and holiday dances welcome even more over the top. The dancing lifestyle is like living in a costume ball all year long.

I’ve always thought it unfair that a ten-year-old can attend any event he or she would like dressed as a pirate, while a woman my age would look, um, crazy. Now I can yohoho to my heart’s content at a theme dance, or with a few modifications, any old dance.

So who cares if the Midwest is not rich in fairy balls? I can still dress like a woodland fey. As long as I don’t trip over those tattered hems. :-)

Check out the website below. May the clothing inspire you as it has me. Here are of few of my favorite looks.

http://www.gypsymoon.com/








No comments:

Post a Comment