Saturday, May 22, 2010

JUMP!!



Gary and I are learning a few jumps in the rockabilly jive. A caveat: when I say jump I do not mean flying aerials or throws. These are very cool…in a routine or if you find yourself on a completely empty dance floor. Throws and aerials are dangerous, for the throwee of course, but also for any hapless fellow dancer who finds himself or herself underneath. Most places ban these sorts of moves.

Also, since I have knee troubles flying aerials may be past what I’m able to do. What comes up must come down, after all.

Fortunately, small jumps, backward falls, and off the floor twirls are within our capabilities and the realm of social dancing. They are so much fun! Jumping up, down, and around feels like soaring high in a swing, or being met at the airport by your sweetheart. And in fact, I guess I am. Every night on the dance floor. Awwwwwww.

The photo at the beginning of this post is a rockabilly move Melissa taught us. Gary and I have bruises. But we learned it! The video below is Kav Kavanagh doing some small lifts and jumps… we’ve almost mastered the one titled Number Nine. It’s pretty easy, and very very fun.



How do you like to go up in a swing,
Up in the air so blue?
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing
Ever a child can do!

The Swing (exerpt)
by Robert Louis Stevenson

No comments:

Post a Comment