Sunday, August 15, 2010



The Birthday Ball

My niece turned 18 last month. It is surreal. I remember when she was born and now here she is, all grown up and ready for college. Yikes.

Her parents (her mom is my sister), threw a fabulous party for her yesterday. It was really more than a party…more like a coming out soirĂ©e of old: loads of food, beautiful decorations, many guests, and dancing.

Gary and I discussed this morning how dancing used to be part of most parties; push back the rugs and furniture and go to it, ala The Christmas Carol or in all those beach party movies of the 50’s.

Since most people back then grew up with dancing, they at least knew a few steps of swing or slow dance. My dad said you "just got out there", and nobody cared if you were skilled or not. Not so today. There was plenty of dancing at Ruthie’s party, but only by people who “knew” how to dance. In fact, one guest, after watching Gary and me, said no WAY would I get out there after seeing you guys.

That made me feel sad. Yes, we know how to partner dance. We ought to…we’ve been taking lessons for over four years and we practice almost every day. Something would be very wrong if we couldn’t by now. But I hate to think we were intimidating others who might have gotten out there had we not taken to the floor.

What I hope is with the success of reigniting young people to dance, especially swing, hip-hop, and salsa, that over time this will change. And when I say change I don’t mean that people have to learn or dance any particular style, I mean that having been exposed to dance they will feel comfortable expressing themselves, whether that is some kind of formal dance, street dance, individual movin’ and groovin’…whatever.

But of course, dancing isn't the most important thing at a party...the people are. Ruthie was her beautiful and charming self. Her perfect hostess demeanor guaranteed everyone would have a good time, even if they didn't dance.

Oh to be the Aunt of such a child. Er, woman. Seesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment