Friday, August 27, 2010

The Last To Fall

Gary and I have messed around, aka, mixed styles and/or discovered different ways to dance, with all of our dances except one: the foxtrot. We’ve always thought of the foxtrot as “formal” and therefore we shouldn’t play around with it.

I have to say the foxtrot has never been my favorite. Reverse poise isn’t comfortable for me, and it’s always seemed a bit stiff. But Gary does like it, even if he agrees on the stiff part, so I wanted to try again. Over the past week we both had a revelation. Gary reminded me that he hadn’t liked the chacha until he learned the Cuban variety. A light bulb went off. Maybe I WOULD like the foxtrot…if we could find another variety.

And we found one…1920's style. The foxtrot is an old dance. In the very early 1900s it was fast…hence the name. We didn’t want that. We have enough fast dances, and besides, where we dance foxtrot music is more sedate. Then we found the 1920’s variety. It’s slower, playful, danced close together, and no reverse poise. We both loved it.

But where to learn it? Well don’t you know, there’s a vintage dance group a couple of hours from us in Cincinnati. The Flying Cloud Troupe teaches all sorts of vintage dances, and they’ve agreed to instruct us. Woohoo! Let the foxing begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment