Monday, March 1, 2010

The Bop - Part 3

Hey, there’s a guy in this dance! Meet Buzz. I call him that for obvious reasons. Buzz likes his new electric razor. He likes it so much that he shaved his entire head and had to apply that magnetic fuzz from his Mr. Woolley toy to his shorn dome. The image of the hand-hold for the Bop looks like the caption should read “You’re commin’ with me!”


I scrolled between the “Boom” and “Chick” illustration several times and I don’t see the pivoting they describe. The instructions do remind me of the Rockabilly Swing, especially the downward swing of the hands to kick off the dance. The instructions provide here seem to be a sanitized version, though. Note you should have at least two feet between you and the girl – that way you won’t get girl cooties!

Doubles – I think the guy who wrote the copy for this section had a few doubles before getting to work. All I can say is – WHAT? Okay, so you do the basic – got that. Then you don’t rock toward the opposite side but instead you bounce again…on both feet? Isn’t that like – jumping? Then it gets really psychedelic – I’ll just quote the copy. “…and then again pick up the same foot out in front…” That’s not instruction, its beat poetry! It’s not helpful that (according to today’s web-etiquette) the instructions are SHOUTED. What is helpful is the statement that all this verbal gymnastics is trying to convey you should essentially do one half of the basic, twice consecutively.

Walking the Bop…too silly for words.

No comments:

Post a Comment