Sunday, March 21, 2010

St. Patrick’s Vintage Dance Postcards

Yeah, I know, St. Paddy's Day was last week. But I was busy. See my writer's blog.

Anyway. First off, there are SO many vintage postcards depicting some form of dance I couldn’t begin to put them all on a post. Well, I could, but even I become weary of them. There are so many different kinds: jigs, children dancing, couples dancing, singles dancing, and even the odd leprechaun cuttin' a rug.

Perhaps this is because the Irish culture has such a rich tradition of dance, whether it is a jig, step dance, reel, or round dancing. Not to mention modern club dancing in big cities.

There’s something about these dancing St. Patrick's Day cards that allows me to hear that happy music. But the joy seems to be infused with an undertone of melancholy that says dance now and dance often…there may be no tomorrow.

Here are some of my favorite. I hope they inspire you to kick up your heels.








No comments:

Post a Comment