Friday, May 11, 2012

Cheek to Cheek

"Dance with me

I want my arm about you
The charm about you
Will carry me through to


Heaven, I'm in Heaven
And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak
And I seem to find the happiness I seek
When we're out together dancing cheek to cheek"

Irving Berlin wrote Cheek to Cheek for the Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movie Top Hat (1935). The song was nominated for the Best Song Academy Award for 1936, which it lost to Lullaby of Broadway. Astaire's recording of the song spent five weeks at #1 on Your Hit Parade and was named the song of 1935 and it’s been recorded numerous times by a variety of artists since its debut.

I love the cover of this piece of sheet music for its dance theme but I have to admit it’s not exactly imaginative. Doubtlessly the publisher was relying on Astaire and Rogers’ images to sell the sheet music and the prominent placing of the movie title tied the piece back to the movie. I guess it does look a little like Fred is more concerned about what the audience is thinking than Ginger, but I've seen a lot worse!

No comments:

Post a Comment