Friday, May 11, 2012

Prom Time

June is coming and with it the time when flowers and young love bloom. June is prom time, the goodbye to the old high school and looking forward to a college career or job. In a way, I guess prom is a dress rehearsal for a wedding. The young couple all gussied up, swaying to the music. For me, prom brings back memories of a rented tux and bad music. I don’t remember where the event took place but I do remember the prom’s song was something by Phil Collins that I’d be embarrassed to listen to now. This is why all proms should be held once you reach the age of about thirty. It would keep you from wearing a pink cummerbund or slow grooving to Sussudio.
I did a little research on the origins of the prom. According to Time Magazine, the prom’s origins can be traced back to the co-ed banquets that 19th century American universities held for each year's graduating class. Youth culture moved the prom into the teenage world and by the 1940s the prom as we know today had taken hold with its themes and corsages.
Tomorrow we’ll be participating in another, more recent phenomena: a second chance prom. We’re heading to the Indy Singles prom to enjoy a simple banquet and a little dancing. There’s something nice about the adult version of the prom. There’s no peer pressure, no king and queen, and no being an awkward wall flower. But the biggest plus is that I get to dance with the girl I really love.

No comments:

Post a Comment