Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy New Year!


Eighty years ago (well, actually it’ll be eighty years ago next New Years Eve, but let’s not get technical about things), this little film snippet was captured. Like today, revelers rang in the new year with hopes it would bring an end to the fiscal crisis that gripped the United States and the world. 1933 had been a momentous one. On the positive side construction on the Golden Gate Bridge began, The Lone Ranger radio program began, and FDR took office. But The Dustbowl and the rise of Hitler foreshadowed many difficult and dark years to come.

So, in our little film snippet we see an eddy in the stream of time. It’s a joyous moment that stands in stark contrast to the realities of the time. Maybe that’s what every New Year’s celebration is, an island of hope amid a sea of sometimes contradictory fact. I raise my glass, hoping that 2014 won’t be like 1934.


So, gloom and doom out of the way, what does 2013 hold for Blue Suede Souls? What are my resolutions?

Well, firstly I resolve to spend more time writing to you. 2012 was a hard year for me when it came to writing and I let my contributions to the blog slip. I’m lucky to have Kelly to keep things going here! No more of that though, shoulder to the wheel young man and let’s get this blog rolling again!

Secondly, I resolve to seek out new and interesting dance experiences, and to share them with you. We’ve maintained our routine and added some interesting dance experiences in 2012 and I’m hoping to make 2013 even more adventurous. We’re learning the American Tango, Swango, and Polka and, no doubt, those will take us to some fun and interesting venues.

 Finally, I resolve to keep growing and changing as a dancer. Dancing isn’t a destination, it’s a journey. I think Kelly put it best when she said that she used to think you learned to dance and then just did it. Now we both realize there is no limit to what you can learn. You can focus on ballroom or club dancing, on vintage or modern dancing, on regional or international dance styles and you’ll never know it all. It seems to me that all you can truly promise is to keep an open mind and keep searching.

So, happy 2013 everyone! Kiss the one you love at midnight, sing Auld Lang Sine, and take a turn around the dance floor. Make the new year better than the old one and you’ll never look back with anything but fond memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment