Friday, May 15, 2009

I Hate Snot

It's troubling to think that for two years running I've had a spring bronchial infection that's played major havoc with my dancing. Last year it was pneumonia and this year it's a lingering flu-like thing that's worked its way up from my upper respiratory tract to my sinuses. This year's version is hanging on for all its worth and if it's still here next Monday I'll be going to the doctor for serious antibiotics. We did a brief practice last night and I was absolutely gassed afterwards. I absolutely hate it.

It does bring home just how physical an act dancing is, though. Sometimes I think of swing dance as just a thing we do, kind of like some people go to Starbucks every morning on their way to work. It's easy to forget that it's aerobic until your lungs don't want to work the way they should. So, for the time being I'm confined to hacking and coughing and dancing very little. Tonight we'll sit out the Any Swing Goes dance we'd hoped to attend in favor of popcorn in front of the TV.

Man I'm ready to be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment