Sunday, May 31, 2009

USO Memorial Day Swing Dance at Coney Island, OH

My dad was in the navy during the Korean War. I knew that, of course. I’d even seen pictures; Dad dressed in his uniform with his buddies, coming out of the surf on same far away beach, and lots of scenery pics from Japan. I’d also petted the silk gown and drooled over the pearls he brought bad for my mom. Oh, and admired that cool anchor tattoo on his upper arm. I think I knew then I’d have a tat someday. Sorry mom.

But I never asked him much about his military service. If I did he’d shrug and say the enemy didn’t have an air force or navy, so his ship would sit off shore and lob shells. Occasionally one would come back from the shoreline, but not often. In general though, I really never thought much about my dad being a vet.

So being at a dance especially to honor veterans was really neat, and more emotional than I thought it would be. The venue was a beautiful outdoor pavilion that had been there forever, in a charming park that looked straight out of the 50’s. The band was great, the singers really good too. The band was dressed in full military garb; they played dance selections from the 40s along with military numbers like Yankee Doodle Dandy.

Mom and dad danced a lot. They were laughing and having a blast. Gary and I did too. Then they had a part where the band played the branch songs of every part of the military. Vets were supposed to stand when they heard their song. When it came to Anchors Away, my mom poked my dad. He frowned. I don’t want to, he said. I said please dad, I want to clap for my dad. So he did. And I did. I almost cried, darn it.

I said later to Gary it’s not often a girl gets to applaud her dad. And no matter what he said, being in a war is dangerous business. I’m so proud of him. And every other man or women who serves this country. No matter what my beliefs about certain wars, who ever served or is serving now deserves our respect and appreciation.

And that wasn’t the only nostalgic heartstring. The band also played a few numbers my mom used to sing to me when I was a baby. I looked over at her and she was softly singing along with my favorite. I started leaking again. Blast.


Oh Johnny, Oh Johnny, Oh!


Oh, Johnny! Oh, Johnny!


How you can love!


Oh, Johnny! Oh, Johnny!


Heavens above!


You make my sad heart jump with joy,


And when you're near I just


Can't sit still a minute.


I'm so, Oh, Johnny! Oh, Johnny!


Please tell me dear.


What makes me love you so?


You're not handsome, it's true,


But when I look at you,


I just, Oh, Johnny!Oh, Johnny! Oh!

No comments:

Post a Comment