Friday, May 22, 2009

Into the Lion's Den

After almost two weeks of being sick and about a week of hard-core antibiotics, I'm getting back on the dance floor. Oh, and I'm not gently stepping it up. Tonight Terry Lee is playing Fountain Square and we're braving the tiny dance floor an ill-mannered dancers to get our rockaboogie out.

Terry burns up a mean Jerry Lee Lewis-style show which means some true rockabilly music at a blistering pace. I'd say that Rockabilly isn't an intimate music but I'm not sure that's true. Think about it: you're out there on the floor, snaking around your partner in figures that barely clear one-another, keyed to the beat and synchronized, and under the hot lights both of you are sweating and grooving. I don't know how much more intimate you can get! It's certainly more physical than most ballroom dances and a lot more connected than East or West Coast Swing.

All that philosophy probably will go out the window tonight, though. I'm just hoping I can dance a few sets without my sinuses making me so dizzy I fall on my butt or my cough coming back with such vengeance that I can't catch my breath. The real pain in the ass about getting older is the fact it takes too darn long to recover when life kicks you in the seat of the pants. The twenty-something me never was into exercise but I got to think he would come back from a cold a lot quicker than the forty-something version does.

This weekend promises to be a dance extravaganza too. We're heading off to Cincinnati tomorrow to visit Coney Island. Okay, so you're telling me that Coney Island is in New York, not Ohio. Yeah, you'd be right – partially. Cincinnati is home to Old Coney Island Amusement Park and Moonlight Gardens Pavilion where we'll be joining a group of WWII vets for a Memorial Day dance. What's now called Old Coney Island Amusement Park started back in 1886 and through over a century it has evolved but mostly stayed open to the public. Dancing at Old Coney will be interesting – I checked and they have a terrazzo dance floor. It'll be like swinging in a bathroom!

I promise pictures of all our weekend activities will be added to the blog and flikr stream as soon as possible! Wish me luck with my poor, feeble lungs!

No comments:

Post a Comment