Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Paranormal Ball, Revisited

I’m not going to write a lot about the dance itself, as Gary has already done so. In short, it wasn’t exactly what we thought, but we enjoyed the venue, being with each other, and dancing. The people there were fascinating. The night was cool and crisp. And as we walked arm in arm back to our car we were bathed in silvery light from the prettiest full moon I’d seen in a long time.
And that got me thinking about dancing and just how much it’s changed out lives for the better. It’s not just the actual dancing, although that in and of itself has been a tremendous shift. It’s also that dancing has become a focus for why we travel. Gary and I are both homebodies. We are writers and we both enjoy being at home. We do get out. We have friends. But left to our own devices, we are hibernators.

Dancing is mostly a public event. We do have our own dance floor. But to really be able to execute our moves we have to go out. And dancing out is just…different. There’s the energy from the crowd. And when you know people are watching, you try just a little bit harder. We have our familiar places, such as the Starlight and the Roof, and we enjoy those. But dancing has also caused us to reach out to historic venues, interesting venues, and far away venues. There is nothing else in our lives that have caused us to do this.

Other people do it around different things: food, fashion, music, bodies of water, etc. Until now, I could never see Gary and I doing this, although the occasional search for ice cream or perfect beach is fun. Dancing has become a passion and a way of life. I never thought it would happen to me. I especially never thought it would happen with dancing.

Something else happened too. In the process of dancing “getting us out there”, we’ve encountered other wonderful things, like that lovely full moon the other night. I’m not sure we would have seen it otherwise.

I hope everyone finds that special something that causes them to explore, especially homebodies. Nothing wrong with being introverts; I think we are many fathoms deep in a way extroverts are often not. But…having an activity to base forays upon can lead you to places and vistas you might never have imagined.

“The world is full of such marvelous things, I’m sure we should all be as happy
as kings.” -RLS

No comments:

Post a Comment