Saturday, May 23, 2009

Lessons Learned

It's good to be reminded of the fact you're not insane. We go through life making decisions and, months later, we can't remember the reasoning which led to our conclusions. Sometimes the logic is totally lost and sometimes you discover it was so flawed that you don't want to claim responsibility for being so irrational. Other times, though, you discover that you're a pretty smart person gifted with a keen sense for discerning what you want to do again from what you'd only do if forced at the business end of a cattle prod. Last night at Fountain Square was a unique combination of both experiences and I'm convinced that I've got a split personality when it comes to dance decision making.

The positive side (on which I promise Kelly I will dwell) was Terry Lee and the Rockaboogie Band. Terry's a genius - a genuine musical Einstein with a keyboard slide-ruler of boogie. You've heard the old expression 'music hath charms to sooth the savage beast'? Well, apparently the same is true for the savage cold because the entire night I got past the hacking cough that's kept me grounded and I pretty much cast off the fatigue of the flu. Absolutely amazing what a good band can do for you! I know I've said it before but I'll repeat myself without shame: see this band.

The less positive side? Fountain Square is still in the possession of pre-teens who'd rather stand, slack-jawed on the dance floor than move their feet and the events there are still hosted by a group that hasn't figured out what dance floor etiquette is all about. After being stepped on three times I remembered why we stopped going to Fountain Square.

In about three hours we're going to take off for Cincinnati and Old Coney Island. I'll pen a report on that one either tomorrow night or Memorial Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment